Thursday, February 11, 2010

hm. Mama was right. Malaysia doesnt have a high demand for Aerospace Engineers. Even Malaysia Airports aren't looking for any. If there were any jobs though, it would be by chance and and... Ugh. Im not willing to take the risk.

The peril of just thinking about how next year would be like... (You think I'm mengada, it's okay. I already know. Hah! Beat you to it!!) Nik staying in Mechanical Engineering but Shaun moving on to Aerospace Engineering. I really need to start making new group of friends - -"

I really DO like thermofluids and such though which made me think of going into Aerospace. (Note that I'm not thinking of taking Aerospace for friends sake, it's just a bonus) but there's no point in pursueing it if I end up having no job o.0

I'm actually starting to freak out. I REALLY REALLY can't imagine being all-knowing and be a full fledged engineer and stuff. Imagine being like Danny. That seems hard :S Well, yeah I have 2 years over left to study but I hope that's enough. Uggh... If i didnt have to think about what course to take next year I would be blisfully ignorant and totally not in this dilemma. Grr.. I'm thinking too much.

Totally a DUH note to myself : I need to study more and get better grades. If not I'd owe MARA a LOTTT of money. And I should start thinking of getting an internship for 2011. Everyone seems to be going for tonnes and tonnes of interviews and I havent even been to ONE! My whole life! Well, at least even if I dont get a job, I'd be able to get some perspectives on things while going on a wild goose hunt for a summer job.


totally depressed with period pain on the side.
Kara

kawa Boo! blogged at 8:46 am

Comments:
i know there's a difference between aerospace and aeronautics, but aren't there any knowledge that's transferable to aeronautics from aerospace? if yes, then there's probably *some* form of demand in the automobile industry. or something..
 
Hmm... interesting topic. Let me add my two-cents worth (you can bank into my Maybank account later).

First off, generally a degree in Mechanical Engineering carries the same weight regardless of what major you do, when it comes to job applications. The only time a specialization comes in handy is when youre applying for a job directly related to that field/major.

Example: a ME graduate with aerospace knowledge will be better qualified for a job in NASA compared to a ME graduate who majored in automobiles. However, she is still qualified find a job in the automotive industry, Oil and Gas, even electronics field (like my first job in SHARP). There are no deduction points even if you major in Aerospace and decide to enter a different field, as long as you stay within the Mechanical background.

Look at Roy, who is now a computer whiz, Neil who switched to Hartanah, and myself who ended up in Oil and Gas. Neither of us ended up doing what our majors were about. Btw, I was in thermodynamics (which I eventually ended up loathing).

So, if you really feel the pull to aerospace and feel thats the best chance to get good grades (the important part here!) then please consider doing so. Just because you major in aerospace does not close any doors. Plus, getting good grades will trump having majored in any industry related field.
 
zee... i have no idea. NONE at all :)

oh. danny. i like thermodynamics! That's why i'm thinking of taking up aerospace! lol. and i didnt know u majored in thermodynamics?? i thought all the brothers majored in pure ME. so well, i just skyped with papa. he says as long as i have an IR as well as get licensing in an aerospace component, my job market should be much bigger. ok, not sure bout the licensing but we;ll see.

And since u agree that if i think i'd score better in aerospace that i should go for it, then yes. i think for now i'd be more incline towards aerospace.

o well. i have till june to actually decide! hehe. plenty of time :) thanks btw.
 
*feeling slightly better when thinking about third and fourth year*

<3
 
Yeah, I did thermodynamics in my 4th year and my thesis was basically about boiling mechanisms in ethalyne liquid *yawn*.

I dont know how things are done in UK or US, but I'm pretty sure both Roy and Lyle had some sort of Major while doing their degree. Dunno what a pure ME is.

About IR, thats really a personal choice. I dont have one, most of my colleagues dont either. If you wanted to write to journals and such, having an IR would help. If you wanted to run your own practice or business, definitely would lend some weight but otherwise a degree and enough work experience will be enough.

As for looking for a job, here is an example of a job opening (fresh grad)
http://my.jobstreet.com/jobs/2007/9/default/10/487193.htm?fr=L

Dont worry about not qualifying for a job, that wont be an issue. The real task will be standing out amongst the other candidates. Good grades will help, a passion for the job/field, willingness to learn etc etc. Still way to early for you to worry about those stuff so just focus on getting good grades and try to figure out what you like and would consider doing as a job (designer, mechanic, researcher, lecturer, ect). Of course I'm not saying you need to this now or even this year. In any case we can talk on Skype before June if youre still undecided.
 
Post a Comment